Pages

Wednesday 13 March 2013

A really frugal meal - crepes and chili?


Last week my sister and her family stayed with us for a few days. She is a great cook and cooked family dishes that I enjoyed eating a lot. We also had fresh fish and live crabs (that we bought from a trip to fish market close to a fishermen village) that we just made into soup, and steamed dishes. Now that just the two of us in the house I'm back to experimenting with my food.

I had in the pantry black eyed beans and various dried herb and spices. I wondered if I can make a chili out of these ingredients. No beef, but I'd dried anchovies. The anchovies were pounded to a paste, so were the garlic and the cumin seeds. These were sauteed with a little oil in a pot. Next into the pot were sliced onion, grated ginger, paprika, cayenne (instead of chilies), and coriander powder then some water, salt, and black paper. Once boiling the already soaked black eyed beans were added. After 45 minutes or so, the chili looked good but I added a half cup of quinoa for variety. Hah, it changed into something totally not like a chili.

No matter how the chili looked, it tasted not too bad. It would be great with a tortilla. but I was getting hungry. Next best option was a quick (French) crepes. My recipe required two cups of flour, two tablespoons of dried milk,  half a teaspoon salt and half a teaspoon soda bicarbonate. The soda would give a little softness to the crepes. After mixing the dry ingredients and adding enough water - 2 cups, maybe more, and mixing the batter well; one egg and two tablespoons of cooking oil was added. I just used a hand whisk to mix this batter. The following photos show the step by step to making rolled pizza crepes.




I eat my 'chili' & crepe with orange apple salad, and my son eat his with cut apples. It was an OK meal to me, but my son always loves his pizza crepes. For dinner though I made him baked chicken warped in (pizza dough) tortilla. I love the taste of tortilla made of pizza dough, instead of using baking powder as its leavening agent. Next time I'll take some pictures.

Alternative Foodie

No comments:

Post a Comment